Insight 9 | Top 10 FCPA-Related Cases in Latin America
Note: This ranking is subjective, based by order of relevance and impact in Latin America, not by amount of monetary sanctions and/or number of individual prosecutions — although these might be correlated].
We should highlight the fact that eight of the top 10 cases involve bribes paid in Brazil.
- Petróleo Brasileiro S.A. (“Petrobras”) (Brazil, ongoing investigation)
- Odebrecht S.A. and Braskem S.A. (Brazil — 2016)
- *JBS S.A. (Brazil, ongoing investigation) *Settled leniency deal in Brazil.
- Siemens AG (Argentina, Mexico, Venezuela — 2008)
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (Mexico, ongoing investigation)
- SBM Offshore N.V. (Brazil — 2017)
- Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd (Brazil — 2017)
- Embraer S.A. (Brazil — 2016)
- Rolls-Royce plc (Brazil — 2017)
- Petróleos de Venezuela, S.A. (“PDVSA”) (Venezuela — starting in 2015 and ongoing)
You can can find the full article at the following link: Top 10 FCPA-Related Cases in Latin America
Author: Evan M. Epstein
Founder & Managing Partner
Pacifica Global Corporate Governance
Keywords: Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, FCPA, Compliance, Latin America, Anti-Bribery, International Cooperation, Global Settlements, Corporate Governance
Pacifica Global was founded in San Francisco to serve as the leading international advisory firm focused on corporate governance, anti-corruption, and shareholder rights issues. The mission of Pacifica Global is to help multinational public and private companies solve some of their most complex governance problems including cross-border regulatory and compliance challenges.